Decking and Garden lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AlGBarker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Decking and Garden lights

Post by AlGBarker » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:10 pm

Hi All,

A few questions...

Firstly - I have channelled a standard lighting cable (1.5mm) from where my consumer unit lives to the garden ready for an electrician to wire up a decking light transformer. I have a nasty feeling I should have used 2.5mm cable instead… is this right? I put the cable in while my bathroom was being done so it is hidden under a tiled floor now!!

Secondly - some lights from the transformer will be at the other end of the garden (18m from the house) can I wire these lights into the transformer on a separate circuit to the others installed in the decking? How many circuits can you have off one transformer?

Thirdly – I suspect that armoured cabling would have a lot of resistance and reduce the wattage getting to the 18m lights. Would it be better to sink some metal conduit for the standard size wire you get with decking packs?

Thanks guys

Alan

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:47 pm

Alan "standard cable" at bit vague!
but no matter for outside installation always go with SWA your "standard cable" if the twin&earth flat grey PVC stuff, won't like it out there and also has no mechanical protection.
Call your elctrician and get it done right, straight from the word go.
KB

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bd3cc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:00 pm

1.5mm/2 will be fine for the mains feed. On L.V the greater the distance the larger the cable.
swa does not have a greater/lesser reistance than any other.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:58 pm