Demolishing Plasterboard Cupboard that Housed old Boiler
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SeanRocks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Demolishing Plasterboard Cupboard that Housed old Boiler

Post by SeanRocks » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:43 pm

Cupboard.jpg
Hi

I am going to remove a cupboard that previously housed the boiler. Asbestos has been removed professionally and existing water pipes will be shortened above ceiling level that used to feed the boiler. Old gas pipes will be cut off below floor level.

I have had people in to advise that the walls of the cupboard are not load bearing.

Light switches and plugs in the cupboard - I will carefully lift out the wiring prior to demolishing for relocation later.

Can anyone advise how to go about demolishing the cupboard. I think it is made of Paramount (EggShell/Honeycombe) Plasterboard as this has been used excessively through the house (built in the 70s).

One of the tradesmen said he would use a reciprocating saw thorugh the middle of the sides and pull it apart from there. I think this would damage the plasterboards on the ceiling. However, I must admit that I do not know how the Paramount Plasterboard is attached to the ceiling or floor. Can anyone advise? I've read that runners are used but I can't figure out what they are or how they are used. Can anyone educate me?

I was thinking of using a multi-tool to cut away around the perimiter at the top and bottom of the cupboard and then break it up from there. Does this sound ok?

I also have french doors with glass above held in place with a wooden frame (something like this: http://www.houzz.com/photos/12990069/Gl ... sacramento). I would like to remove this as well. How are these held in place and how would you suggest I remove this (after taking the doors off and removing the glass)?

Thank you very much
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Demolishing Plasterboard Cupboard that Housed old Boiler

Post by welsh brickie » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:05 pm

you can use a Stanley knife to cut the plasterboard that meets the ceiling, just take your time removing the wall, I don't think it will cause hardly any damage removing it.
As for the French doors, once the glass is removed you should see the fixings in to the wood surround, Just unscrew them and it should come out easily enough

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:27 pm