Depth limit on hardcore
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Grumpy Boy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Depth limit on hardcore

Post by Grumpy Boy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi,

I have just bought a barn to convert (so expect a lot of requests for advice!), and I havee to build the double-garage first in order to comply with planning regs & bats.

The general yard area (surrounding the barns) is about 1m higher than the field where the garage is to be located. I understand I need to use hardcore as a base under the slab/footings etc, but I was not sure if there was a recommend maximum height of the hardcore & how it should be retatined.

I think that I need to dig a retaining wall (again using hardcore & concrete as a base/footing), which will hole the hardcore in place. I can then lay the slab DPC etc as normal.

Thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:07 pm

Grumpy Boy,
You will need to build the outer walls of the garage first thereby forming an enclosure for the hardcore. The depth of hardcore needed (and the foundation depth) will depend ground conditions - the softer the ground the deeper the depth of hardcore needed.
end

Grumpy Boy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Grumpy Boy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:07 am

Thanks Stoneyboy.

The ground is preety good, so the usual depth of hardcore & footings for wall etc.

I was just concerned about the "above ground" hardcore depth - going to be about 1m before the slab/dpc is laid for the garage base.

Will the retaining wall be suitable for this. I guess so but wanted to check.

Thanks again.

elwood
Ganger
Ganger

Post by elwood » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi

There's a maxium stone fill depth to a ground bearing traditional slab
I think its .600mm but not to sure (One of the other guys might know)
after that you will have to suspend the floor.

Bye

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:43 pm

Grumpy Boy,
If your garage floor is going to be 1m out of the ground take elwood's advice and form a block and beam floor. The alternative would be to construct 225mm walls and fill with carefully compacted hardcore.
end

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:42 pm