Determining what sort of walls I have!
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DIY_rookie
Labourer
Labourer

Determining what sort of walls I have!

by DIY_rookie » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:15 pm

I have just moved home and want to hang some fixtures. My walls are not solid masonary like me old house, because:
1. If I tap the inner walls they sound hollow.
2. I drilled a small hole in a wall and the drill went through easily and there did not seem to be anything behind.

I have read a lot about plasterboard walls on this site; how do I determine if this is the type of walls I have?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:27 am

get a piece of wire and push it through the small hole you have drilled. If it goes in (straight) for more than 50mm then its safe to assume you have plasterboard walls. Use the readidrive fixings from our fixing to plasterboard project for hanging pictures. The plasterboard will be fixed to upright timbers called studs, The best fix you can get is in these studs which will be at either end of the wall and then (usually) spaced about 400mm apart. To locate these studs for a better fix you can use a stud detector which can also be found at the bottom of our fixing to plasterboard project.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:08 pm