DIY Doctor

DG diy repairing misted units without replacement.

Postby mushrooms » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:23 am

Hi everyone, anybody any experience or thoughts on the DIY repairs that can be done on misted up units, apparently it involves drilling the unit pumping something in I think which absorbs the moisture,(not dessicant ?) then sealing the drill hole with a one way valve allowing moisture out. Just seems a little too good to be true ?? :?:
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:13 am


Simply Build It

Postby thedoctor » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:24 am

Go to one of the double glazing or replacement window projects on the website. The sponsors of those proejcts can give you the info if you call them.
Posts: 2528
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Postby LEO292 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:10 pm

Hi Theres nothing you can do with misted up glass. The steel bar between the 2 panes of glass which protects the air gap has failed or broken down. The best thing to do is replace the unit. At least this will last 10 yrs. The stuff you talk about being pumped into the double glazed unit is argon gas. This stops moisture getting through to the inside. In your case it has escaped or it was a bog standard unit like mine and none were used. To give you an idea of price for a 4-6-4 unit.14mm thick..750x450 was £12. Hope this helps, Leo.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:17 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics