DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Didn't get building regs

Postby jane compton » Sun May 27, 2007 5:17 pm

We had an existing loft laid out as one very large bedroom which had been there since house built circa 1900. Last year we had it divided into 3 beds and a loo. it was done by a guy who does many true loft conversions and he did it to the same/right spec. However I thought cos it was an existing loft bedroom and was just a matter of redividing space (no old walls were changed) that we didn't need permission or inspections. Am I right? if not - what shall I do?

Thanks v much
jane compton
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:11 pm

Postby bonejs » Mon May 28, 2007 11:04 pm

If you did not make a Building Regulations Application... You can apply "late" for a Regularisation Certificate.

Alas this costs 2.5% more than an early application. But with a regularisation certificate, you will be able to sell, mortgage or re-mortgage your property. Without a Building Regulation "completion Certificate or a "late" regularisation certifiate" you can do #known of these.

Your local Council will have the applicatrion form and a guidance note on the late procedure.

If you split up[ a loft space into more than one room then you need to show that the maens of escape is still adequate to all rooms.

John Bone
(Building Control Surveyor since 1974)

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 10:58 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics