All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cercleforet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Difficukt ti get in to hot water

by cercleforet » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:23 pm

I am giving as much info as I can, even if it risks being irrelevant :oops:

Our house was built in 1971 and originally had gas warm air heating, with hot water being supplied by an instantaneous gas heater in a cupboard adjacent to the kitchen sink. Sometime before we took over in 2002 the occupant had a wet radiator system put in serviced by a second gas boiler in the kitchen. We are in a very hard water area,

After we too over we updated the kitchen, removing both the water and the central heating units with a Protherm 80e combination boiler

The water heating side has never been that good and has sometimes failed, so that other than servicing the following has been carried out.
o 10/11/05 replaced air in expansion vessel
o 28/11/05 replaced faulty plated
o 15/12/06 service note “pressure vessel may require recharging, not very good”.
o 12/02/07 re-pressurised expansion vessel, cleaned prv
o 18/02/08 replaced DHW diaphragm.

Throughout the main problem has been with running a bath, finding a tap position that gave an adequate flow without the water running cold as well as hot and the problem has persisted after a new bathroom was made. There the only plumbing change was for the combination shower/ bath taps to be substituted by bath taps and a separate over bath shower unit.
Filling the bath requires a very slow flow of water to avoid cold running.

FWIW I turned all the radiators on full and all are passing heat save that two or three are not as hot as the others.

All in all we find it all puzzling and frustrating and are wondering what the best thing to do next. Suggestions and advice please.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:01 pm

hi
could the answer be in the water?
do some research on the effects of hard water
bob

cercleforet
Apprentice
Apprentice

by cercleforet » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:36 pm

[quote="bobplum"]hi
could the answer be in the water?
do some research on the effects of hard water
bob[/quote] You may be right :), but if it is I would have a big problem where to put any form of softener, if that's what you are thinking :( .

Is this a situation where risking the cost of a pressure flush and de scale would be a good bet? I see from various advices that before fitting a new boiler, there should be a flush, but at the time of installation I was not paying much attention, due my awaiting very major surgery. So whether done I have no idea.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:31 am