Digging out rotten fence posts
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JackOfPaulTrades
Labourer
Labourer

Digging out rotten fence posts

by JackOfPaulTrades » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:12 pm

My parents have a concrete patio and driveway which were separated by a wooden fence with a gate in it. The wooden gateposts were sunk into the concrete - evidently no measures were originally taken for drainage, as they have now rotted and broken just below ground level.

Does anyone have any tips on removing the section of post remaining in the holes? I'd like to replace the posts (either with concrete ones, or wooden ones with some sort of drainage precaution) but as the whole area is concrete, I don't really want to get into smashing any of it up to get the old wood out.

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:56 pm

JackOfPaulTrades,
You will not get the stumps out of the concrete pockets, digging out the post and concrete is the only option.
end

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:43 pm

i did once manage to remove a rotten stump from it's concrete home by using a very long and hefty 22mm auger to remove most of the material from the centre. i was then able to prise the rest inward away from the edges to the centre using a crowbar and lump hammer.

it was a real work-up though, i reckon it must've taken me about an hour per post and i had 6 to do. couldn't dig the concrete out as they were part of the footings for a brick wall that had the wooded posts interspaced.

by the time i'd done all that i came to realise that the original posts were an odd size - 3"x3" were too small to neatly slot into the hole and 4"x4" too big!

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Digging out rotten fence posts

by TheDoctor4 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:09 pm

For any viewers looking for more info on similar issues about fence posts please see our DIY Projects category for fencing which covers how to install fence panels, how to concrete fence posts, what type of fence posts to use and lots of related subjects.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:40 am