dimmer switch basics
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
eastend
Labourer
Labourer

dimmer switch basics

by eastend » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:43 pm

I'm runing a cable from an existing wall socket, up behind the drywall to the ceiling and across to a ceiling rose. I've now had the idea of adding a dimmer switch in-line.

What is the proper way to wire the switch? I believe I only need to interrupt the live wire and place the swithc in-line. Is it alright to leave the earth and neutral lines intact?

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:26 am

Yes you can leave earth and neutral lines intact.

You say running from existing wall socket. If you are referring to 13 amp socket you will need a fused connection unit before using to feed a lamp as the normal light fitting is only rated at 5 to 6 amp and 13 amp socket supply is in the main 32 amp.

By using grid switches you can include a dimmer and fuse in the same unit.

Eric

eastend
Labourer
Labourer

by eastend » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:19 am

Thanks for the quick response. I'm actually drawing off a 5amp lighting socket, so I should be ok, no?

One quick follow-up...if I'm running the line along a finished concrete ceiling (unpainted), would you recommend self-adhesive trunking or conduit (or nothing at all)? Also, must I use a ceiling rose to remain compliant (the lamp includes a plastic connector)?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:33 pm