Dimmer Switch Configuration
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stanbates
Labourer
Labourer

Dimmer Switch Configuration

by stanbates » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi All

This is my first post on here, but Ive been reading the threads and it seems like a good place! 8)

Anyway, I have a double dimmer switch (on my lap) ready for fitting in to my living room, to replace the double standard on/off switch. My question is:

What do the symbols mean on my new switch?

What is the correct configuration?

I have, from left to right, L1, L2, ~ then on the other switch its upside down, therefore the symbols are reversed. Also the sine wave symbol has an arrow struck through it. Is it anything to do with phases? Even though its house lighting and therefore single phase?

Thanks in advance.
Stan

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:29 am

Please remember without having the switch there is a little guess work but what I think you have is a two way dimming switch ~ will be common and L1 and L2 the two outputs so your wires from on/off switch will go to ~ and L1 should you select L2 the switch will swap which way is on and which is off. If the same switch was being used as a two way switch then switch wires would go to L1 and L2 and 3 core cable would connect like to like on all terminals. There is a diagram on projects section. I think diagrams are easier than text.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:56 pm