Dimmer Switch..grrr
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mazz
Labourer
Labourer

Dimmer Switch..grrr

by Mazz » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:31 pm

Heyho everyone!

I have a problem with the above culprit. I have recently moved house and have discovered that a dimmer switch in a back room will not work. You can hear the "buzz" it makes when you turn it on but the lights refuse to work. The unit had a crack in it so I replaced it today with a new unit and still it will not work. Its a plastic unit and I just transferred the brown wires to the new box identically although I did not cut and shave the wire. Its a plain old one way switch.

The room next door is on the same lighting circuit and works fine so nothing dodgy with the fuses.

Any help will be gratefully received!!!

Mazz

P.S. Apologies but I'm not very DIY minded so please excuse the amature talk!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:54 pm

Hi Mazz, 'cut & shave' presume you had bare wires without insulation for a short length when connecting? so screws can make good contact with copper wire. Power off, remove wires from dimmer and look for screw marks on copper to make sure you did have good connections.
to prove circuit ok before reconnecting switch, put both brown wires into a spare connector block together, turn power on & check light works, it should stay on, if not stop blaming dimmer & look elsewhere for fault ie at light, see also forum' connecting lights'
regards SPARX

Mazz
Labourer
Labourer

by Mazz » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:17 pm

Thanks for such a quick reply! I'll try stripping the wire when I next have time and see how that goes! If not i'll call in a spark!

Thanks again!

Mazz

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:56 am