Dirty water from taps! (Worcester Combi-Boiler)
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Olympus
Labourer
Labourer

Dirty water from taps! (Worcester Combi-Boiler)

by Olympus » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:20 pm

I have a Worcester 24i combi-boiler. It's about 8 years old and feeds 4 rads. It's a sealed system of course, so there are no storage tanks.

Lately, I have been getting dirty water from the taps. It looks and smells like the water in the rads, grey in colour and smells metallic. It clears after a short while.

I have just drained the system and replaced a radiator that was sludged up. I have also injected Fernox cleaner into one of the rads and will soon drain that off and inject Fernox inhibitor.

I thought the water to the taps came straight from the rising main. Why might it be getting contaminated like this? Thanks guys!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:08 am

The plate heat-ex has probably corroded and the water from the central heating will be mixing with the hot water. Replace the plate heat-ex.

Have you noticed any discolouration in the cold water ? any works been carried out to thwe main cold water supply in your area ?

hope this helps

Oliver_murphy
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Oliver_murphy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:28 pm

could be that your plate-plate heat exchanger has split,

Olympus
Labourer
Labourer

by Olympus » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:28 pm

Yes. The discoloured water appears from both the hot and the cold taps in the kitchen and the bathroom.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1