All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sdouglaspe
Labourer
Labourer

Disconnect old back boiler

Post by sdouglaspe » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:39 pm

Hi
I wonder if anyone can help me? We have a direct water heating system system with an electric immersion heater and a back boiler (coal fire). I would like to disconnect the back boiler because it's rubbish and its pipework is in the way.
I plan to:
1. Drain the hot tank & boiler.
2. At the tank, disconnect and seal off the 2 connections to the boiler - is this OK or should I link them together instead?
3. At the boiler, cut the pipes close to the wall but leave the ends open to allow warm air to escape when the fire is in use - I presume this would be safer than sealing it up? I don't want to remove the boiler as this would involve hacking into the chimney.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers, Steve

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:01 pm

MANY OF THE ANSWERS TO YOUR POSTS CAN BE FOUND, WITH DIAGRAMS, IN THE DIYDOCTOR PROJECTS SECTION. CLICK HERE www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

sdouglaspe
Labourer
Labourer

It's a safety thing (bang?)

Post by sdouglaspe » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:54 am

Hi,
I've had a look through the project section but I can't find anything specific to my query.
I don't have any problems with draining the system, disconnecting and rerouting pipework etc., I just want to know whether it's safe to leave our old back boiler in situ without any plumbing going to it. It's just on a coal fire but I don't really want it to go bang...

Cheers, Steve

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:50 pm