Dishwasher door catching on adjacent cupboard frames
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Iainpi
Labourer
Labourer

Dishwasher door catching on adjacent cupboard frames

Post by Iainpi » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:23 pm

Hi,

Tldr: integrated dishwasher door catches on adjacent cupboard frames and causes movement when opening. Trim chipboard cupboard frames or door?

A few years ago we had a kitchen installed. The integrated dishwasher was delivered a day late and the installer didn't leave enough space between the cupboards for the door to fit between the cupboards smoothly. It's just a mm or so too tight. The door squeezes in but lifts the dishwasher and moves it. It's less of an issue in summer and I assume the wood swells a little with increased humidity during the winter. I have tried bracing the dishwasher with the lags but this will lift the stone work top a little and I guess could weaken the glue holding it down and if not tight then it just pulls out.

I think the answer is to shave off a little of the cupboard frame where the door rubs and free the movement.

1. What is better, shave the chipboard or the cupboard door on the dishwasher. The door is probably easier but will look a bit weird. Or shave the chipboard down.

2. What is then best to seal the chipboard against water?

Sorry if this isn't clear...

Iainpi
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Dishwasher door catching on adjacent cupboard frames

Post by Iainpi » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:39 pm

Just to show a couple of pictures. The are the bottom eject of the door touching the cupboards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

clayport
Labourer
Labourer

Post by clayport » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:31 am

did you find a solution to this? i have the same issue :(

Iainpi
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Iainpi » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:50 am

Hi,

lucky I saw the notifciation in my emails.
Not really is the short answer.

I bought a dremel and routed out enough of the cupbaord wall to let the door open and close which is working well but I haven't quite finished it off. The chipboard is still exposed and needs to be covered over. Its a paint to move the dishwasher in and out and I didn't want to cause any damage by doing that too many times.
I bought some melamine (ebay) to try and stick over it but not quite got there yet. I still need to take a little more off and attach the dishwasher properly to the cupbaords. I was going to try and cover as much as I could with the melamine and get some waterproof wood glue to go round the edges and any exposed bits.

If I remember and get round to it I will take some pictures, it might even get me to finish the job off or at least move it on a bit.

I would say the dremel felt a little weak on doing a decent sized area and recommend only doing a few mm at a time to keep the wear down on the bits. The routing holder for the dremel is good but I found it moved a little and maybe a proper router would do the job much easier and better?

Good luck

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:40 am