Diverting bath waste into soil stack
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Grethron
Labourer
Labourer

Diverting bath waste into soil stack

by Grethron » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:31 pm

Hi all, we've just bought our first house and found a number of problems with the waste system.

Our house is in the middle of a terrace row with two sewers one runs to the left and the other to the right. Unusually, the toilet ALONE goes into the left hand drain while the bathroom sink, bath, kitchen sink and washing machine go to the right.

There is a conservatory built over the manhole at the rear and this was full to the top with effluent and almost leaked into the house.

After paying a fortune to get this cleared, I'm still not sure if it hasn't collapsed as we're still waiting on a CCTV survey.

The manhole into which the toilet drains still begins to build up with paper and other solids and I therefore have to take up floors and flush it with water as the bath drains the other way.

The question is, can the bath waste be piped into the cast iron pipe that runs down the outside of the house, bearing in mind that it runs through the conservatory?

I need idiot proof for this if possible as a craftsman I'm not!

Is it easier to drill a hole in the cast pipe or cut a section out and get a plastic joint to do the job?

I CANNOT afford a new cast iron pipe so MUST not break it

PLEASE HELP - Gav

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:21 am

The bath waste is not a problem you can use a “time saverâ€

roadyz
Labourer
Labourer

by roadyz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:28 pm

aye,

usually if i have to chop out a section of CI and breaking the cast is not an option i hacksaw the section rather than using snap-cutters, - takes bloody ages but near perfect cut every time. you can use a Time saver
which look nice

Go to the DIY Projects section and click into the Unblocking drains project. Scroll to the bottom where you will find a flexible adapter.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:45 pm

"The manhole into which the toilet drains still begins to build up with paper and other solids and I therefore have to take up floors and flush it with water as the bath drains the other way. "

are you going to change the direction of the bath waste - to wash the paper and other solids away ?

If solids are building up, there's a problem - either a blockage or a collapsed drain. Yes the bath water may wash alot away - but it's not a solution. I would wait for the CCTV Survey and see what they advise

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:49 am