DIY damp proofing job using membrane
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Radge70
Apprentice
Apprentice

DIY damp proofing job using membrane

by Radge70 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:56 pm

Having never done any meaningful DIY in my life I have decided to try to do a damp proofing job by copying the job spec I was given in a quote I got from a nationwide damp proofing firm. The job is to strip back the plaster on a 5sqm wall to the bare sandstone (which has a cavity behind it and then the main outside wall, which is also sandstone).

There is currently a bad leak from the roof that is coming inside the cavity and soaking the wall – it’s getting fixed as I write this though.
Soaking Wall
Soaking Wall

I’ve listed the steps I’m going to use below and am looking for opinions on whether I’m doing things correctly or whether I’m setting myself up for a DIY disaster!

Step 1 – strip wall back to sandstone (already done – see below)
stripped wall
stripped wall

Step 2 - get roof fixed so that leak that’s coming down the cavity stops (in progress)
Step 3 – after roof is fixed, allow sandstone wall to dry for 3 weeks or so with the aid of a dehumidifier. Check moisture levels using the Protimeter Surveymaster I was talked into buying!
Step 4 – Once dry enough, switch dehumidifyer off and render sandstone wall with PermaSEAL Renovating Plaster to create a flat surface. Allow a couple of days to cure.
Step 4 – fit PermaSEAL 3 Damp Proof Membrane Kit 10m² to the rendered wall
Step 5 – use PermaSEAL Fleece Overstrip to join the membrane where necessary
Step 6 – dot dab plasterboard that has a “Vapourshield” (laminated with a metallised polyester foil) to the membrane
Step 7 – could do with some advice here on how to fill / tape any gaps in the plasterboard. E.g. what products should I use?
Step 8 – paint the plasterboard at some point. I think I read somewhere that it’s a good idea to leave it for a year so that the wall behind it can properly dry out.

Is there anything else I need to consider?

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: DIY damp proofing job using membrane

by collectors » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:28 am

Why are you damp proofing the wall. Is it not possible that when the gutter is fixed it will dry out & be OK?

isaacyorkshire
Labourer
Labourer

Re: DIY damp proofing job using membrane

by isaacyorkshire » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:27 pm

Did you manage to get this completed? I am about to start my home renovation project and would love to know how yous went?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:48 am