DIY secondary glazing solution
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mortod
Apprentice
Apprentice

DIY secondary glazing solution

Post by mortod » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:34 pm

Are there any products out there to enable me to fit my own affordable secondary glazing?

All I want is to fix some non opening secondary glazing units to some windows that suffer from condensation. I do not need to open those windows (even in a fire), so a unit that simply screws in place would be ideal. Heat shrink film worked a treat this last winter but I would like to implement something more permanent. I did get a quote from the local glazing company to make up some units, but £180 for one window did not seem cost effective or justifiable.

I'm hoping that it is possible to buy the white secondary glazing frame material which I can then cut to size, and then just purchase the glass. A trawl around the local DIY stores and the web did not reveal anything.

winger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by winger » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:42 pm

There is a system we use called easy fix (i think). You just have a plain sheet of glass, put a 'u' channel (it comes in white,brown or clear) around it and is held in place by screws and plastic clips. It's a piece of cake to fit and they can be removed simply by turning the clips in a matter of seconds. This system is the cheapest i've fitted and have never had any problems. If you need more info on the exact product name or more details i can find them out. Hope this helps

mortod
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mortod » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:30 pm

Thanks - have now found a slightly better looking product, also by Easyfit called supergaze. Much neater looking.

double glazing man
Labourer
Labourer

Double Glazing DIY | Secondary Glazed Units

Post by double glazing man » Thu May 01, 2008 11:53 am

Yes there is go and visit doubleglazingshop.co. they sell every thing for the DIY to fix your problem.

janfit
Labourer
Labourer

DIY secondary glazing

Post by janfit » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:57 pm

If you want a low cost fixed secondary glaizng solution Google "omegabuild.com" They supply either upvc glazing strips or magnetic tape and will cut the glazing sheets to size for no extra cost. Well worth a look.

indigo
Labourer
Labourer

magnetic secondary glazing

Post by indigo » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:50 am

hi all

i did my house using quite a cheap magnetic secondary glazing kit from magnetick.co.uk

extra thick curtains also helps!

indigo
Labourer
Labourer

Post by indigo » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:52 am

i used magnetick.co.uk for a good magnetic diy secondary glazing kit

chrisg
Labourer
Labourer

Post by chrisg » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:51 pm

If you Google myhouseextension.com and search for secondry glazing. Take a look here where it explains how to make excellent DIY low-cost secondary glazing using real glass.

Chris

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:37 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:16 pm