DIY Velux Rooflight
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
omits
Apprentice
Apprentice

DIY Velux Rooflight

by omits » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:54 pm

I am hoping to build a room in my loft. I want to do this slowly and thought I would put in the rooflight first. The roof is bitumen underlay (done in the 1970s) with concrete tile which interlock. I want to do this from the inside.

What considerations should I be thinking of if you experts think this is feasible. i have no drawn up plans yet.

Thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: DIY Velux Rooflight

by stoneyboy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:32 pm

Hi omits,
Perfectly feasible to do this from the loft area but you will have to fit double rafters either side of the velux. Look at the current rafter spacing and choose a velux which will fit nicely with the doubling rafters one side of the other of the existing rafters.
Regards S

omits
Apprentice
Apprentice

by omits » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:07 am

Yes thanks I will look into that. I guess they have to stretch between cross members for support and maybe not the entire length of the rafters.

One difficulty is removing the heavy concrete tiles which are the Marley flat versions.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:38 pm

Hi omits,
Yes the new rafters must rest on purlins or on the ridge plate at the top if there is no upper purlin. The interlocking tiles are easy to remove but try to set the velux so you have complete or near complete tiles at the sides.
Regards S

omits
Apprentice
Apprentice

by omits » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:14 am

stoneyboy wrote:Hi omits,
Yes the new rafters must rest on purlins or on the ridge plate at the top if there is no upper purlin. The interlocking tiles are easy to remove but try to set the velux so you have complete or near complete tiles at the sides.
Regards S
[quote="stoneyboy"]

Yes ood point even if the alignment inside with the rafters is not symmetrical. Thanks.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:15 am