diy via building control
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tsb
Tradesman
Tradesman

diy via building control

by tsb » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:37 pm

If I wanted to go down the route of doing a full rewire on my house and new kitchen extension, which I'm building myself (building control is already involved with extension and has passed off each stage so far), how do I comply with the necessary regulations to gain the correct certificates? I am a very confident diy'er (professionals may be laughing at this point) and have read on this site that it isn't illegal to do your own wiring. An electrician would charge around £2,000 - £3,000 for the job, whereas I could do the job myself for less than £400, a big difference! Any information before I ask building control so that I have as many facts as possible, would be gratefully received. (My building control inspector is a right little jobsworth)!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:10 pm

HI,
I asked a question like yours, see Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:15 pm
kbrownie View latest post.
Hope this was helpful
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:25 pm

Hi, I've stopped laughing & run out of tears over this situation so here goes,
where you applied for bldg regs permission there will be a schedule of fees for each type of work, as misery-guts already involved presume you have paid for basic work? go back on their site & find part p bit, there will be an extra fee to cover electrics as unlikely LABC will do inspects
'in-house', so they will use your fee to pay a local firm to check your work at wired-b4-plastered-over state & at 2nd fix stage.
They will not do testing or issue certs. as part of this 'look see' you must do it yourself or pay a leckie to do it for you.
Perversely an electrician can't issue a completion cert for work done by another, only a Periodic Inspection cert.
hope this helps, some local lecky may be willing to work with you ie let you save cash by running cables/chasing walls/fitting boxes ect. with him doing connections & fitting con. unit. he would then issue certs as if he had done all work himself,
good luck with project,
N.B. most common fault of DIY electrics is shareing earth sleeving between 2 conductors in socket boxes, they must be individually sleeved to comply with regs.
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:45 am