Do Economy Bulbs present a danger?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BML
Apprentice
Apprentice

Do Economy Bulbs present a danger?

by BML » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:35 pm

Someone told me today that if I sit under my electric light standard reading lamp with one of those strange twisted looking bulbs for more than an hour it will do me harm so I have two questions.
1. Is that true?
2. Bearing in mind that I am over 75 and wear glassess what sort of light should I use?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Do Economy Bulbs present a danger?

by ericmark » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:48 pm

Some discharge lighting can cause problems for some people. For people watching computer monitors all day we used a Cat something lamp which has loads of reflectors so you are using reflected light rather than direct and we also use high frequency lamps rather than the old 100Hz types.
But I am sure the bright lamp we use today is far better for your eyes than the candles used years ago. Also less fire risk. I find as I get older I need more and more light so either I am fried with a halogen lamp plus am in danger of burning my fingers if I forget and reach up to adjust. Or I have to use a discharge lamp. So with a risk assessment I have decided to use discharge lamps.
A florescent lamp is one type of discharge lamp. It also includes all those we get in the street.
So yes it can harm some people but in the main it's not a problem.

BML
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Do Economy Bulbs present a danger?

by BML » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:43 am

Many thanks.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:43 pm