Do fridge, freezer and washer need extra fuses?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ste
Apprentice
Apprentice

Do fridge, freezer and washer need extra fuses?

Post by ste » Fri May 30, 2008 12:00 am

I am re-fitting my kitchen and want to remove the three visible fused switches for my washer, fridge and freezer.
My question is are these just fitted for ease of chaniging the fuse or will I need to other ones in somewhere else?

Thanks

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Fri May 30, 2008 2:18 pm

Most washer, fridge and freezers will have a fuse in the plug and because the same item must be useable thro out the common market and only the UK has fused plugs all overload requirements for non built in units must be within the appliance and the manufacture is not allowed to rely on the fuse in the plug. This does not apply to built in appliances. The fuse in the plug for non built in appliances is only to protect the flex. So you need either fuse in plug or fuse in fused switch unit not both. The normal method is to use grid switches and a socket near to the appliance. The grid switch can have all three appliances switched from the one unit. The ability to remote switch for non built in units is not a requirement but very handy so they can be defrosted without pulling them out. Also with the amount of fires in washing machines switches on them is recommended. On built in units remote isolation is required and fusing as to manufactures recommendations. Once you move to built in units the manufacturer can stipulate what he likes this has become quite a problem with split level cookers where two separate overloads may be required and the standard trip in the consumer unit may not be good enough.
You don’t say if the units are built in or free standing also any electrical alterations in a kitchen will come under Part P there is a link in projects section.

ste
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ste » Fri May 30, 2008 10:06 pm

All of the units are integrated, thanks for the advice

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sat May 31, 2008 10:16 am

With integrated units you must follow manufactures instructions. There is one way you may improve what you have and that is with grid switches. With for example a 6 gang module you can fit all 3 switches and all three fuses in the same unit which would maybe look more presentable than three individual fused spurs. Screwfix sell the MK version but other outlets will have different versions with many different finishes.

All best Eric

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:45 am