Do i need Damp Proofing?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
noteboom1
Labourer
Labourer

Do i need Damp Proofing?

by noteboom1 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:38 pm

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone could help with this or give advice please....

We have had an insurance claim for escape of water which has caused extensive damage to our property, it has also been left unoccupied now for over 10 months due to the problems :( (Underground drainage pipes were all dislodged and broken casuing water all to build up under the floors, floor joist all rotted etc - these have now been fixed)

We have around 6" of ground water under the floor (1930's terraced property), there is a very large void between the ground under the foor and the floor boards, which we think may have been to allow for the ground water?

Anyway, we have noticed that there is no Damp proof course at all in the property and due to the ground water problem we were advised by our insurance company to have one put in before they re-instate the property - all of the plaster etc is already hacked off the walls, flooring etc is all up so now really would be an ideal time to do it, just dont know if we really need it or not and how much its likely to cost? The insurance company wont pay for it as its a preventative measure not cause for the claim.

Any ideas if requires doing / likley cost / or if we could tackle it ourselfs?

Thanks!!

mdpmspitfire
Tradesman
Tradesman

damp proofing

by mdpmspitfire » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:54 pm

hi , firstly, are you sure in a 1930's house that there is not a slate dpc?
a deep floor void should not be in provision for ground water ad a timber floor will not last at all under such conditions.
although possible to diy, an injected dpc, i suggest, should be installed proffesionally as a long term guarentee is important. get the guarentee insurance warrented also. if water is laying in the sub floor void i suggest pumping out before anything else and to establish if the problem is ongoing. if so a solid floor may be a possibility.
regarding dpc installation, a specific replastering schedule is reuired which you installer will be familar with, to prevent hygrscopic salt formation which, if not alloed for could be substantial under such previously wet conditions.
mark

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:38 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:16 am