Do I need planning permission to soundproof?????
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
M Pem
Labourer
Labourer

Do I need planning permission to soundproof?????

Post by M Pem » Mon May 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Hello
Ive used a method recomended to me of soundproofing but before I go any further I want to know do I/did I need planning?.
I live in a mid terraced house thats only divided by single brick,through which lots of noise carries,down at my local builders merchants I was advised to use Gyp frame,Isowool and sound board (blue plaster board). I have completed one side of the house,plastered,painted and skirts on and the difference is amazing virtualy no noise at all but,the after thought has occurred of should I have applied for planning as the gyp frame has to be secured to the walls by drilling and rawl plugging at various points spanning the whole wall and I guess its a lot of weight on a single brick divide. I've had no complaints from the neighbours throughout the process and intend on doing my other wall as soon as next door go on holiday as long as I'm allowed to do so within my rights?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue May 11, 2010 8:23 pm

M Pem,
"Do I need planning permission to soundproof" NO
end

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:45 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

JOEDD
Labourer
Labourer

Post by JOEDD » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:57 pm

M pem,

Thanks i have found your post very usual, im having to do a similar thing to my property.
I may be being thick but what is a GYP frame?
Thanks

M Pem
Labourer
Labourer

Post by M Pem » Wed May 18, 2011 5:32 pm

JOEDD wrote:M pem,

Thanks i have found your post very usual, im having to do a similar thing to my property.
I may be being thick but what is a GYP frame?
Thanks

Hi Joedd, sorry so late reply, i havent been on for a long time. If you havent been informed yet or done the job, GYP frame is a metal form of studding used to build partition walls and stud walls out with effective sound proofing qualities if used in conjunction with correct insulation and boarding. The brackets used to fix them to wall are the only contact ppints making sound travel minimal and they allow you to level up any uneven-ess due to having optional fix points. your local builders merchants will show you how to use

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:36 am