DIY Doctor

Do I need to install a damp course ?

Postby bluenose » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:35 pm

My house is 120years old, solid 9inch brick, no cavity. floor levels are well above external levels but all ground floors have been tanked at some time (approx 1" thick) The plaster above the tanking has gone soft and has extensive efflorescence which is a mess. Was originally diagnosed as condensation so install heat revovery systems, did not fix plaster issues though. I intend to strip all plaster from walls but would it be best to remove tanking and install a cream dpc, could only install from one side?. I want to have one wall as bare brick, this is an internal wall so can't understand why is also tanked. Any assistance appreciated. Thanks
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:27 pm


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:37 pm

When you refer to tanking I assume you are referring to a concrete based render which has been applied to the lower part of the walls. This should extend up the walls about 1m. If plaster above this level is going soft you have other issues which need addressing.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 4051
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics