Do I trust this Electrician
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
s4ndman
Labourer
Labourer

Do I trust this Electrician

by s4ndman » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi
We are having major reconstruction work done in our 6 year old 3 bed Bungalow as part of a insurance claim which they have paid up to us.

We had an electrician come round to quote and bring up to regulations of our wiring, lighting etc. who is contracted to the builder. He came round the day of the start of the work to Isolate part of the supply in the Bungalow he remove 2 electric showers and 1 switch and 1 socket plates. I had to remove a Socket plate which he missed so they can take a wall down. £186.00 quote When he left I checked the Consumer Unit, to Isolate part of the bungalow, he just switched the mcb’s to off none of the MCB’s was removed, no notice was put on the C.U. etc. Should this have been done?

Also 4 points I brought to his attention.

Down lights in the bathroom and on suite, which are standard 12v down lights one directly above the showers they have no moisture protection or to stop moisture ingress into the loft. Should these be moisture protected down lights? He said 12v will be fine.

The extractor fan is over the toilet and is close to the window. Should this be closer or over the shower? Which is 8 feet away.

We have only 1 mains smoke alarm, 18 feet distance away from the kitchen door and is sited between our bedroom door and front door. I said the smoke and heat detectors need to be on their own circuit. I said it should be on its own rcb or mcb plus do we need additional smoke sensors etc. he said it will be ok on the lighting circuit, plus he never quoted for extra sensors.

I wanted my fridge freezer on its own circuit, speaks for its own. He said it’s not part of Regs.

He as quoted for a new consumer unit.

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:17 am

s4andman,
As far as Isolation of circuits ideally the MCBs should have been locked off. Depending who is using the area while the work is being carried out and under what supervison the system is under depends on whether. They really needed to be. For instance say I was you, and you lived in the house alone or with a responsible partner and the electrician said "I've switch the breakers to the open position, so all the circuit that could be protentially dangerous if live, are currently dead. Is that okay? know one going to switch them on are they?"
I think that would be fair, but if you have children or iresponsible people in house or people who are unware that the circuits are dead for that reason and they could posssible turn them on either though ignorance or mischief.
Warning signs and locking off should have been done.

Your shower lights need IP rating even though it's extra low voltage.
and at the end of the day your the client/customer and if you what extra sensors I don't see why not.
If a new CU is being installed the whole of your elecrical system will then need bringing up to 17th edition standards and any departures noted.

Smoke alarms can be fitted to lighting circuit providing they have a secondary standby power supply and ideally not connected to RCD.
If RCD protection is being used on the alarm circuit, this then must either a circuit purely dedicated to the smoke alarm(Likely to be RCBO) or the alarm circuit work independently of any other RCD.
Alarms should be fitted within 7.5 metres of every door of habitable rooms. And not in areas that generate higher than normal heat,smoke or steam. ie if you installed on in the kitchen, bathrooms, porches etc... as higher tempretures that do not represent a risk can be detected and your alarm will function when not desired.
Doe major reconstruction mean building controls are involved in your project, if so they should insure the electrical installtion is correctly complied too, if not building controls will need to be notified either by you or your electrician.
To links that may be of interest are
Google "competentperson.co.uk"
https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/partp.htm
I hope I've answered all your question satisfactory, I could not say for sure if your electrician is any good but your right to show concerns.
A new CU will require EIC(electrical installation cert) Reports of inspection and tests results.
Don't be hand over vast amounts of money until you are happy with the electricians credentials, knowledge, quality of work and leave some money off the final bill for the certificates at the end.
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:39 am