Dodgy Extension???????
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
deh
Labourer
Labourer

Dodgy Extension???????

Post by deh » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:29 pm

Hi all. The house I want to buy has a potentially dodgy extension. I wanted your opinions on how to fix it (unless you guys/gals think it's ok as is). Picture link below.

There is a gap/void in the extension wall which 'houses' the conservatory guttering and edge of conservatory roof!! I guess this was not part of the builder's plans at the outset! I have managed to get my hand under/behind the flashing and there is approx 4 inches gap before I can feel a beam/support (which does not sound like RSJ or concrete support when I tap/knock it. Also a worry). My concerns are structural and damp.

Any comments on the current situation and the ease of rectifying the problem greatly appreciated.

http://s930.photobucket.com/albums/ad14 ... ion011.jpg

Many thanks,
David[/img]

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:00 pm

eeugh!

the beam/support i'll bet is a wooden joist. the flashing clearly acts as guttering to catch the run-off from the conservatory roof and runs into the conservatory guttering.

look at the line of the brickwork along the dodgy part of the brickwork - not exactly straight!

i'd expect problems here at some point in the future. might last 20 years, might last 2, who knows. but could be in for a whole heap of trouble. i don't understand why they didn't re-jig the conservatory roof. well, actually i do - cost, laziness and ignorance on the part of the client are the most likely reasons.

have a look on the inside for any sign of leaks/damp. bear in mind that it may have been patched up and hidden if the house is on the market.

deh
Labourer
Labourer

Post by deh » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:19 am

thanks for your reply. By my estimations the extension has been up for about 2 years. The property has been empty for about 6 months (repossession) and there is no sign of damp on the inside.

The 'beam' actually made a hollow sound so I'm wondering if it is just a plasterboard type material, so maybe there is no support at all. This may explain the wonky brick work in this section (rest seems ok). Would it stay it with no support???

Clearly it needs sorting but what would be the best/least expensive way? Altering the extension wall/roof or somehow curtailing the conservatory roof? Any ideas welcome.

Thanks again.[/b]

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:35 pm

can't imagine those bricks are staying there with no support. the hollow sound suggests a boxed in RSJ though without seeing it one can't say.

personally i'd look at ways of re-jigging the conservatory roof and filling that void with brickwork. likely to mean inserting extra support beneath.

but again without proper sight of the job it's not really possible to say unfortunately.

deh
Labourer
Labourer

Post by deh » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:37 am

Thanks for your comments. Appreciate it.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:41 am