Does 45 Degree Rule re Extensions Apply if Neighbour has an Annex With a Side Window?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

simhou
Labourer
Labourer

Does 45 Degree Rule re Extensions Apply if Neighbour has an Annex With a Side Window?

by simhou » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:59 pm

My local planning regs say second storey extensions should not interfere with a 45 degree angle from the window of adjoining property - ie stick out past that plane. (with diagrams helpfully showing how this applies regarding rear windows)

However while the small rear 2-storey extension I want to build would not interfere with this line sight for their rear windows - their home is an L shape with a single storey kitchen sticking out onto their patio/garden. This has a side window that faces across their patio to a fence - the other side of which is my patio (onto which I want to build in part my extension)

Do I have to take account of that side window when considering the 45 degree rule (which in effect would prevent me from doing any second storey work anywhere on my home) or is it just windows at the rear of the house?