Does this sound excessive?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sidspanner
Apprentice
Apprentice

Does this sound excessive?

by Sidspanner » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:51 pm

My mum is in her 80's. Rather than asking me, she got a bloke to price up some decorating for her. It consisted of

strip 4 x outside window frames
fill and repair wood
one coat undercoat
one coat gloss

£200 plus materials. ( cash) the bloke said it was about 2 days work

Maybe I'm out of touch but is this a fair price? Any decorators give me a guide I would appreciate it.

Sidspanner
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Sidspanner » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks for the advice lads...jeeze....I wasn't asking you to quote for the job, I was only asking whether ( in your experience) you thought it was excessive?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:37 pm

Yes it seems in the right ballpark - perhaps even a little cheap. I'd be worried that having stripped it he doesn't seem to be planning to prime before undercoating and if he's going back to bare wood IMHO it should be prime, 2 undercoats and 2 of gloss.

Also you don't say how big the windows are and whether they are fixed panes, casement openers, sash windows or whatever.

Cheers

Sidspanner
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Sidspanner » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:25 pm

Thanks Roseberry. I appreciate the reply.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:38 pm

"Thanks for the advice lads...jeeze....I wasn't asking you to quote for the job, I was only asking whether ( in your experience) you thought it was excessive?"

Don't forget that all posts here have to be approved by a mod prior to showing up on the forum (that is except for posts by two of the senior members who get away with it LoL). So you have to wait for someone to be here to answer - we can't be here ALL day and then you have to wait for a mod to come along and approve. That can take some time. For example this post from you was not visible to me when I answered your original post.

"Thanks Roseberry. I appreciate the reply."

Pleasure.

Cheers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:56 pm