Door Frame Kits
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Richie9
Labourer
Labourer

Door Frame Kits

by Richie9 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:06 pm

I am currently redesigning our bathroom and to gain as much space as possible want to reduce the adjoining bedroom door frames down from (internal) 74cm to 63cm. Frame kits do not seem to go below 762mm..
Would it be cheaper and simpler to have pine cut to size and rout the channels to fit ??
I have had builders around and a couple simply want to cut back the existing frames to size but I do not think the finish will be what we are after. Any suggestions/links to builders merchants/stores where a better selection of frame sizes can be had??
Paul

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:28 pm

There are really only two choices

1. Cut back as suggested ££

But I'm not sure what you mean by "won't get the finish". You'll be fitting new architrave etc I'm guessing so that will cover up any joins and the finish is in the paintwork away so I'm at a loss to understand what you mean.

2. Have a bespoke door case made by a local joiner. ££££

You'll still be fitting architrave which will cover up the joins and painting / staining it afterwards.

HTH

Cheers

barryb
Labourer
Labourer

door frames

by barryb » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:28 am

When you buy a new door casing it will be in 3 pieces, 2 jambs the verticals and 1 header the short bit. The header will notched to take the verticals, all you need to do is carefully mark out where the new notch will be and cut using a saw and a sharp chisel. Assemble the casing and check the size the glue and screw through the header into the verticals using 75mm screws, then cut of surplus ends of header. Cut a length of timber (2x1) to the same size as the frame opening between the rebates place in the rebate same distance from the bottom of the verticals say 200mm and fasten, this will help keep the frame to its required dimension. Good luck.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:01 am