Door Hinges for Replacement Kitchen Back Door
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DecnDor
Labourer
Labourer

Door Hinges for Replacement Kitchen Back Door

by DecnDor » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi, I am in the process of replacing my heavy duty brass door hinges on my back kitchen door. In order to do the job properly I have to remove the door.
then In order to drill the screw holes accurately I have invested in a set of self centring hinge drills. Now the screws provided with these hinges are a No 10 for which is recommended a .190" drill diameter which is approximately 3/16" having selected the appropriate self centring drill I foiund that the the diameter of the spring loaded guide was smaller than the holes in the hinges and therefore would not be suitable. Do you know if they sell special self centring drills for this situations. The only other alternative is to go for bigger diameter screws but I am not sure if this is a good practice. Any advice on this would be welcome.

Sometimewoodworker
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Door Hinges for Replacement Kitchen Back Door

by Sometimewoodworker » Tue May 08, 2018 3:05 pm

DecnDor wrote:Hi, I am in the process of replacing my heavy duty brass door hinges on my back kitchen door. In order to do the job properly I have to remove the door.
then In order to drill the screw holes accurately I have invested in a set of self centring hinge drills. Now the screws provided with these hinges are a No 10 for which is recommended a .190" drill diameter which is approximately 3/16" having selected the appropriate self centring drill I foiund that the the diameter of the spring loaded guide was smaller than the holes in the hinges and therefore would not be suitable. Do you know if they sell special self centring drills for this situations. The only other alternative is to go for bigger diameter screws but I am not sure if this is a good practice. Any advice on this would be welcome.

There is a simple work round. Use a larger self centring drill but do not go more than a couple of mm deep, then you will have a conical depression, just use the correct size of drill bit to drill the full pilot hole.

Problem solved.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:43 pm