Post your questions and get answers concerning many areas of this subject

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JoeSmith
Apprentice
Apprentice

Door lock cylinder replacement

by JoeSmith » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi All

We've just had to have a locksmith go out to our house due to a problem with the front door lock. The rental agent organised it and has just forwarded the bill.

The locksmith had to travel 1.8miles across town in normal working hours and replace the cylinder in a relatively bog standard PVCu front door. The house is in Somerset, is empty and it wasn't an emergency.

I've just come round from seeing the bill. Can anyone tell me what a reasonable amount to pay for the following would be...

"Attend site and replace faulty cylinder to MPT lock on PVCu front door. Return 3 keys to agent."

Many thanks

Joe

alavapint
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Door lock cylinder replacement

by alavapint » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:34 pm

When I am not available and we are often asked to do exactly what you describe. We have to call a locksmith, and it normally costs around £120.00

When I am available... I would normally have a selection of Euro cylinders in my van. As a rule I would have the old cylinder out, and the new one fitted in under 2 minutes.
The cost of the average cylinder is around £15 trade... so there's a fair chunk of profit in that £120.00

On the other hand the it's the same old story... there's a van to run, insurance, fuel and servicing.
Public liability. tax, nat ins, accountant and on and on.

themoffster
Apprentice
Apprentice

by themoffster » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:15 pm

They are absolute robbers.
I had them out to do the same in my house (before I actually looked into what was required) and it was £100.

In future, open the door look at it side on - just under the part that goes in and out when you press the handle down, you'll see a single screw that doesn't look like any others.
Stick the key in the lock, unlock it, then ever so slightly turn the key (so instead of pointing 12-6, turn it to 11-5). Then unscrew that screw. Pull the key and the barrel slides out. Stick in the new barrel and screw in the screw - that's it.

It's honestly laughable how easy it is and I am still furious with myself (nearly 3 years later) that I never did it myself.

Catapulta
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Catapulta » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:01 pm

Same quastion, but a little bit too late maybe. But I haven't found any other realted thread, please let me know how much would cost a locksmith, I have to change the cilinder for my Patio Door, the key is also stuck inside but I think its not a big deal since I need to change the entire mechanism

themoffster
Apprentice
Apprentice

by themoffster » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:09 pm

Catapulta
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Catapulta » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:14 am

themoffster wrote:https://youtu.be/Dqdv1awLnLI

Thank you!

ElliotM
Labourer
Labourer

by ElliotM » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:11 am

Thank you! this video was useful for me too! I've watched it a couple of times, now I think I'm ready to try to change my eurolock by myself. Hope it will be ok

Catapulta
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Catapulta » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:31 am

In case you are not 100% sure you are able to change the lock by yourself, try to call a locksmith hornchurch, it will cost you some money but you will get your things done in a couple of minutes, with all that you will be sure everything works just well. I've tried to follow video instructions but I wasn't getting to the final result I was searching for. So I think I will call a locksmith instead.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:41 pm