DOOR LOCK NOT ENGAGING ON WASHER
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lydia6dg
Labourer
Labourer

DOOR LOCK NOT ENGAGING ON WASHER

by lydia6dg » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:52 pm

hi
just gone to use my washing machine WMA50 Hotpoint Aquarius extra. closed the door and the door lock will not engage, so no filling.Could i do this myself,repair it or is it a cheap enough job i could get someone in to do it. I may be female, but I have repaired many of my own machines in the past and done plumbing jobs around the house...all successful i may add
hope you can help, regards Lydia

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:51 pm

lydia6dg,
All these sort of repairs depend on whether you can get the correct part.
Try squirting WD40 into the lock hole. If this doesn't work get a genuine hotpoint repair man in - the lock has electrical interlocks and can be difficult to fit.
end

slapdash
Apprentice
Apprentice

by slapdash » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:16 am

Just had the same problem on my washer. Door lock thing easy enough to get out: (pull plug out!) lid off washer, two screws out down at door lock, pull up interlock switch from inside, note connections and disconnect wiring. New one is ~£10 from your local repair shoppe (they sell thousands!), installation reverse of above.
This may fix it but it may not actually be the problem; it could be the interlock isn't getting the signal from the control board (more expensive but still a skoosh to replace yourself).
Otherwise can you live without the interlock? It can be bypassed to allow the m/c to operate but you live in danger of opening the door with a washing m/c full of water. :shock: Not a good idea if you've got inquisitive kids or neighbours downstairs...

caesar13
Labourer
Labourer

Re: DOOR LOCK NOT ENGAGING ON WASHER

by caesar13 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:20 pm

hi how would i go about bypassing the interlock? thanks

BrisPlast
Labourer
Labourer

by BrisPlast » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:10 pm

Are you sure it's the lock? I've had issues with washing machines not working in the past due to simply the rubber tubing not being lined up properly around the door.

richtonyrich
Labourer
Labourer

by richtonyrich » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:58 pm

hi hope somebody can help have a hotpoint washing machine i have put a new door interlock mech on but the problem is still there the display is flashing door has anybody any ideas
thanks

TheTom
Labourer
Labourer

by TheTom » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Probably a bit late for you, however I just had the same trouble on a WMA 30, I replaced the interlock switch and it was still faulty. After looking at the controller board I found an SMD triac had gone open circuit, (as it turns out, caused by the old interlock switch going faulty)
Luckily I had one that would do the job. soldered it in and it is back and working.

SilverW53
Labourer
Labourer

by SilverW53 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:58 pm

Door was locked shut, nothing working, just a series of six or more clicks from the interlock. Referred to various websites, ordered new Hotpoint interlock, now fitted, switched on, door locks shut, the interlock goes click, click, click etc, and nothing happens, and door won't open. Furtunately have lid off so can trip it from inside.
Any suggestions what next?
Thanks Peter Williams

Dolphin100
Labourer
Labourer

by Dolphin100 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:52 pm

I am having the same problem with my Aquarius washing machine, changed part, but it still clicking the door locks but machine won't start up, any ideas??

Jacob12
Labourer
Labourer

by Jacob12 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:30 pm

Recently had the same issue with a very old Bose option, unfortunately it was going to cost us the same to replace the locking mechanism as it would cost to invest in a new one. You have not yet figured this out? Is it still an issue or did you get a replacement?

JohnPine
Labourer
Labourer

by JohnPine » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:16 pm

This advice is for Hotpoint / Ariston /Indesit owners

If the door lock clicked a number of times before it displayed the led door error. The problem is not with the lock. The clicking noise is the solenoid inside the door interlock. The fact that it is clicking shows that it is functioning.

The problem is with dirty or defective motor brushes that prevent the machine from starting, so it unlocks the door.

A quick solution is:
Remove the rear panel of the machine, take off the drive belt, disconnect the white plug and earth lead from the motor.
Undo the two bolts holding the motor and drop the motor out of the bottom of the machine.
Remove the carbon brush holders and get rid of the carbon dust. Then use a piece of very fine wet and dry abrasive paper and clean the commutator until you can see the metal behind the dust.

You should sooner or later replace the brushes.

Thanks for btemple642 on fixya for this tip:
http://www.fixya.com/support/t12636470- ... rius_keeps

This solution worked for my Hotpoint/Ariston ARMXXL 125

nyarlathotep69
Labourer
Labourer

by nyarlathotep69 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:34 pm

JohnPine wrote:This advice is for Hotpoint / Ariston /Indesit owners

If the door lock clicked a number of times before it displayed the led door error. The problem is not with the lock. The clicking noise is the solenoid inside the door interlock. The fact that it is clicking shows that it is functioning.

The problem is with dirty or defective motor brushes that prevent the machine from starting, so it unlocks the door.

A quick solution is:
Remove the rear panel of the machine, take off the drive belt, disconnect the white plug and earth lead from the motor.
Undo the two bolts holding the motor and drop the motor out of the bottom of the machine.
Remove the carbon brush holders and get rid of the carbon dust. Then use a piece of very fine wet and dry abrasive paper and clean the commutator until you can see the metal behind the dust.

You should sooner or later replace the brushes.

Thanks for btemple642 on fixya for this tip:
http://www.fixya.com/support/t12636470- ... rius_keeps

This solution worked for my Hotpoint/Ariston ARMXXL 125

Thank you, it worked like a charm, saved me some bucks, thanks man!

bplodges
Labourer
Labourer

by bplodges » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:01 pm

My machine has an induction motor but with the same symptoms as the others. The door lock clicks, the red padlock light comes on then the machine beeps but nothing else.

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:54 am