Door openings
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kevin47
Labourer
Labourer

Door openings

by kevin47 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:34 pm

Can anyone help with tips on re-hanging an internal door , so that it opens out (say , on to a landing, rather than inwards, into the room)...Would I have to turn the whole frame round , so that it faces in the opposite direction ? but I guess that would distrub the whole decor etc, so is there a simpler method. ? (I've heard that there's a saw - maybe for hire - that can cut out some of the work (anyone know about this and what does it do ?)...thanks for any tips...kevin

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:22 am

kevin47,
If you can do the equivalent of moving the door in its current orientation to the other side of the frame ie do not turn it round. Cut the hinge rebate across the door and fit hinges to the opposite edge. Cut new rebates for the hinges on the door frame and hang the door. Because the door has not been turned round it should fit reasonably well but you may need to plane the edge so it fits. The lock tongue will need turning round and the door stop will need removing and refitting.
end

kevin47
Labourer
Labourer

by kevin47 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:53 pm

Thanks Stoney; I think I understand your tips...Would there still be a problem with the `stop' part of the frame, though..Thats the bit thats puzzling me , because its on the frame nearest the outside of the room and it now needs to be on the frame towards the inside (Thats what there's supposed to be a special saw to cut it off , so someone has said, or is it just pinned on ?) ..Does this make sense ?...thanks ...Kevin

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:42 am

kevin47,
Unless you have a door frame which is an external frame the door stops should be fixed by nails onto the frame. Use a chisel and try driving it in at the bottom of one of the stops. If you find that the stops are part of the frame you will have to cut them off - any coarse unbacked saw will do but it will be a painfull process.
end

toptips
Ganger
Ganger

by toptips » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:06 pm

hi kev,is the door solid timber or the holow type.

kevin47
Labourer
Labourer

by kevin47 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:54 pm

thanks again Stoney and (toptips): its just a basic hollow internal door on a downstairs toilet

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:58 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:43 am