Dorma window, planning question
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Martin68
Labourer
Labourer

Dorma window, planning question

Post by Martin68 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:02 pm

Hi again, this year i also want to build a dorma window onto the back of my roof, facing my back garden.
I live in a semi rural area but have a main road in front of my house.
I have no neigbours, so i am wondering if the planers would have any objections to adding a dorma which i plan to build between my two main "A" frames in the loft, are these sorts of proposals usually granted?

I want to very slowly convert my loft, and am wondering if it might work to build the dorma without planning permission, then if i get questioned about it within 4 years, could i apply for retrospective?

the reason i'm asking this is because i just want to get started with this project, and i can't afford to spend so much money on red tape, i.e. planning permission and an arcitect, as this money could go on materials instead to build the window!

Also when plasterboarding the loft, do i need to use standard or firecheck boards?

look forward to your replies

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Dorma window, planning question

Post by rosebery » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:18 am

"so i am wondering if the planers would have any objections to adding a dorma which i plan to build between my two main "A" frames in the loft, are these sorts of proposals usually granted?" It will vary from authority to authority, which side of the bed the planning officer got out of this morning etc etc. The only way you are going to find out is ask them.

"I want to very slowly convert my loft, and am wondering if it might work to build the dorma without planning permission, then if i get questioned about it within 4 years, could i apply for retrospective?"

Yes but if it is denied you'll have to tear it out again! Really not worth the risk.

"the reason i'm asking this is because i just want to get started with this project, and i can't afford to spend so much money on red tape, i.e. planning permission and an arcitect, as this money could go on materials instead to build the window!"

If you are planning to turn your roofspace into habitable accommodation you'll need to be considering all sorts of aspects (the most major ones probably being strengthening the joists and possibly inserting a steel over any first floor windows to take the additioanl weight) which will involve building regulations not just planning. You can't avoid the red tape.

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:28 am