Dot Dab disaster
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
robwigan
Labourer
Labourer

Dot Dab disaster

by robwigan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:40 pm

I had Dot dab walls installed last December and the plasterboard has come away from the dots in a good area of the wall. I was thinking about drilling a few holes and spraying expanding foam into them which i know sticks to anything. Has anyone else had this problem?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:42 pm

robwigan,
Locate the dobs and drill through them and into the wall then use screws into plugs. Expanding foam may make the situation worse due to the pressure which is built up as the foam expands and sets.
end

robwigan
Labourer
Labourer

The foam works.

by robwigan » Sun May 08, 2011 8:47 pm

I was going to screw into the adhesive dots but was told about a plasterboard foam adhesive. I drilled holes into the hollows in the board 1.5mtrs apart and injected the foam. Best thing ever it found its level and went solid after 10hrs, well chuffed its like rock now. The plasterer wanted to cut big holes in the wall and re-skim. Going to dot-dab myself from now on.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon May 09, 2011 10:18 pm

robwigan,
Well done - thanks for the feedback. Normally the expansion of the foam bellies the plasterboard, especially if the board is fresh from a builders merchants damp yard.
end

robwigan
Labourer
Labourer

by robwigan » Thu May 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks for the reply. The foam i used was purchased from Screwfix and called Insta Stik, i found it expanded with very little pressure like builders foam, the reviews on the screwfix site are very true and honest. I would use this product again.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:31 am