double glazing in front door sidelights.
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
harpchr
Labourer
Labourer

double glazing in front door sidelights.

Post by harpchr » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:01 pm

hey folks, looking for some help to ensure all goes well when i try to install double glazing in my sidelights

side 1 size is as follows:
1 off – Height = 1920.8mm x width = 333.3mm

side 2 size is as follows:
1 off – Height = 1924mm x width = 336.5mm

should i knock 10mm off the overall height and width size for when i order my glass or should it be slightly less than this?

also- if i use the double sided security tape and place it into the upstand, then place the double glazed unit followed by another layer of security tape and the final facing will this be a job done?
i heard about using some blocks under the glass but was unsure if 1- if needed or 2- do i then have to build this into the size of glass i buy so they fit?

appreciate your help

winger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by winger » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:20 pm

Is this a timber frame, also is it internally or externally glazed and is is self draining? Everybody has different views on clearance, some say 10mm , but if it's a timber frame with only a 15mm upstand, i would go for 6mm, as this should conceal the spacer bar a bit better. You must use setting blocks underneath, 3mm if you're going for the 6mm tolerence or 5mm if the 10mm. The glazing method would depend on the frame type

memento
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by memento » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:38 pm

Hi winger
if it is timber frame then you should use butyle putty not linseed oil putty as this can destroy the unit. then once the unit is in the cavity around the unit should be filled using a clear silicon i recomend tremco.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:37 pm