Double Glazing Window Handle Spindle Problems Need Help
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stryder01
Labourer
Labourer

Double Glazing Window Handle Spindle Problems Need Help

by stryder01 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:53 pm

I had two windows from safe style installed about 15 years ago. They both had old battered metal handles on. The bigger one and the bottom had been locked and the key was lost so we could not get it open. I got that handle on and replaced it successfully and now it opens and closes fine. But the smaller one at the top was never actually fully shut, and the handle was always on the open side. I replaced the handle on that one too, but the handle came off of the spindle and now the spindle is stuck inside of the window, I have tried everything. Silicone lubricant, mole grips, WD40, and tapping it with a hammer to budge any rust that could be inside. I have got nowhere but I do not want to have the mechanism taken apart or have a new mechanism fitted nor do I want a new window all together. What can I do? I could not add a picture but basically the handle is not on the window and there is just a stuck spindle inside.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Double Glazing Window Handle Spindle Problems Need Help

by welsh brickie » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:17 pm

its best to remove the mechanism even if you get the spindle out, Try spraying it with penetrating oil, and leave it overnight, it should come free, if it does not you will have to have a new sash,

stryder01
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Double Glazing Window Handle Spindle Problems Need Help

by stryder01 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:47 pm

Hi and thanks for the replace. If that is really the case, how do I do that? And how would it help get the spindle out? Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:32 am