Double switch in kitchen
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stranraer
Labourer
Labourer

Double switch in kitchen

by stranraer » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:27 pm

I have a double light switch in the kitchen, one operates the ceiling lights (works fine) and the other operates the flourescents under the kitchen wall units (none working). I have replaced the light switch, but no change. I have also noticed that the extracter fan is not working. All fuses checked and isolating fuse for extracter fan changed. The light switch has earth cables but they are not connected. Seems to be how they have always been and safely protected with yellow sheath with no cable protruding. Only wires connected to back of switch are live and neutral on each of the two sides of the switch. One of the live (ceiling lights) wires shows power going to it but the other doesn't. Any ideas please. I can normally work these things out but struggling with this one. Could I have wired switch incorrectly? I have live in 1 way, neutral in common and reversed on other side. Thanks

rhy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by rhy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:32 pm

it sounds like your missing the link wire, which goes from your live in (ceiling light feed) to the live on your under unit light live-live link.
so you should have the two reds link together and then your two black (swicth wires) going off to the correct places.
this should solve your problem let me know, if not and your in the Chester area let me know and i'll come and sort it out for you.

stranraer
Labourer
Labourer

by stranraer » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:12 pm

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't live in the Chester area or would have taken you up on the offer. I assume my connections to the switch are okay: I have the wiring for the ceiling light as red to 1 way, black in common to one side of the switch and for the under cabinet lights red to common and black to 1 way to the other side of the switch.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:47 pm

Not all black wires are neutral. Often the switched wire is black, it should have a red sleeve but often either missed or dropped off.
It would seem the two switches both have their own feed and switch wires so I would have expected at least two wires live at all times you only list one!
Since you have also lost your fan I begin to wonder if the fault is in ceiling not switch? Normally power is feed from one light to the next and each ceiling rose has three connections not counting earth. Live, neutral and switch. And three cables In, out and switch. This system seems to cause more problems than anything else. Look at projects and see how its wired. If you remove ceiling rose cover be very careful with blacks one may not be neutral but a switch don't get them mixed up. Remember is someone gets neutral and live mixed up you can get live and no neutral so will show as power on any neon tester and able to give one a shock but may not show on a meter. Because you have fluorescents where it would glow dim on normal light it just will not work with fluorescents.
Please be careful and switch off at mains before opening anything up.

rhy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by rhy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:38 am

[quote="stranraer"]Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't live in the Chester area or would have taken you up on the offer. I assume my connections to the switch are okay: I have the wiring for the ceiling light as red to 1 way, black in common to one side of the switch and for the under cabinet lights red to common and black to 1 way to the other side of the switch.[/quote]

does it work that way??

i may have miss understood how you wrote your question if it works that way.
with out avin a photo or a clear discription it's hard to advise on what to do.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:59 am