double wall sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diyweekend
Apprentice
Apprentice

double wall sockets

by diyweekend » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:49 pm

I am at the moment taking out my kitchen and replacing and have noticed two electrical areas i need to check out to see if correct.

On one side of the kitchen i have a double wall socket above counter which i have discovered on taking the plaster off has a three way cable running to two double sockets which have a return wire between the double sockets.Is this ok.

On the other side of the kitchen there is electric running to a double socket. This then runs in a circle run through three other double sockets. One above the couter top runs to the other above the counter top then runs to a double socket under counter running to a forth double socket returning to the first double socket.Is this ok.

thank you :D

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:01 pm

diyweekend,
little hard understand what you are trying to say!
Explain giving cable colours and how many are in each socket-outlet and how they travel to next socket and so on.
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:09 pm

Hi,you are correct it sounds like a doubled ring and you should have it checked before covering the wiring up,
regards

diyweekend
Apprentice
Apprentice

by diyweekend » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi KB

the colours in the cable red green and brown this cable runs a complete ring through four double sockets

SOCKET ------------------- SOCKET
cable cable

SOCKET --------------------SOCKET

diyweekend
Apprentice
Apprentice

by diyweekend » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi KB

sorry forgot to say each double socket has two cables in each double socket one in one out

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi diyweekend,
You say ring?
A ring final circuit will run from the consumer unit/fuse box to each socket in turn on that circuit, once it has reach the final socket the cable will return to the CU/fuse box and the reds (line) will terminate together at the same breaker/fuse (normally 32/30amps), the blacks (neutral) will return also as will the green/yellow (cpc) to the neutral and earth busbar. They should not return to other sockets on this or any other circuit
A spur of one single or double socket may be taken off each one of the socket-outlet on the ring (no more unless Fused Connection unit used)
If they don't return to the cu/fuse box it may be a radail circuit which will from cu/fuse box go from socket to socket then stop at the last in line and not return to cu/fuse or back to other sockets. Some one may have bridged this circuit across two sock-outlets, this must be removed.
KB

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:01 pm