downlighter cover
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
speedygonzarlis
Tradesman
Tradesman

downlighter cover

Post by speedygonzarlis » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:58 pm

Hi guys
just a bit of info on downlighters please came across a strange one today,
ive just first fixed a kitchen extension, the customer wants 4 downlighters in the ceiling, anyway the builder was putting up the ceiling and insulation, i asked him to leave a gap of 100mm around the downlighter cables so the insulation couldn't touch the fire rated downlighters once second fixed, anyway while the builder is doing this building control turn up and ask why he is leaving this gap, he explains, building control tell him i must make a box out of plasterboard to put over the downlighter and then pull the insulation over the box so the complete ceiling is covered.
have any of you guys come across this?
obviously there are fire covers, but the insulation is not allowed to touch those either,
i'm registered with corgi for my electrical so i rang there technical line to check this out, explaining what the manufactureres instructions say about gaps for insulation and not to cover downlighters under any circumstances etc, they ve never heard of this before, i also checked 17th regs book, nothing similar in there, seems all i can do really is ring the helpline for the manufacturer of the downlighters, if they say not to cover the downlighters in this way, then don't do it, as we all know rule no 1 always follow manufacturers instructions!
now just watch you'll all reply telling me you've been doing this for years, LOL
thanks in advance for any replies!
regards Reg

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi Reg,
I have heard of/seen this done, if using proper fire rated downlighters then there should be no reason to leave large gap around but even fire/acoustic ones breech the ceiling void so most LABC inspectors ask for some sort of box either metal or plaster board.
It's one of the reasons I won't fit any down lighters, personally I will walk away from job first! they are IMHO 'spawn of the devil' & should be banned forthwith!!!
I know it's easy to say but I believe they are all a fire risk for very little gain over a more conventional fitting, & I like to sleep at night.
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:42 pm