Downlighters in lathe and plaster ceiling
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
boulders
Apprentice
Apprentice

Downlighters in lathe and plaster ceiling

by boulders » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:54 am

Hi guys

What is the procedure for fitting downlighters into a l&p ceiling? a) is there going to be too much heat against that ultra dry lathe? B) should I cut away the l&p and instate plasterboard to carry the fitting?

Any recommendations for type of downlighter?

Thanks.

B

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:11 pm

NONE!

darned things should be banned! :roll:

boulders
Apprentice
Apprentice

by boulders » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:06 am

Thanks sparx. Any other ideas?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:24 pm

Discharge or LED lighting both produce far less heat. I would look at 2D lights for general lighting and GU10 for spot lights for pictures etc. However lighting is a huge subject and where colour is important then it can get very expensive to emulate daylight.

The problem facing any one fitting new lights is can one rely on replacement lamps being as original? Although I may select a GU10 cold cathode lamp which is safe as far as fire goes there is nothing to stop some one replacing that with a tungsten lamp in the future. In the same way even if I fit a 2D fitting some one could replace whole fitting for a bulkhead fitting which takes a bulb so question is how likely is it that the wrong type of lamp is fitted?

Pods sticking out of the ceiling will reduce fire risk and so will fitting fuses which will blow with over size bulbs. But to me if a house holder fits cold cathode lamps (florescent) then he is likely to replace like for like.

boulders
Apprentice
Apprentice

by boulders » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Thanks for that. Very helpful. B

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:10 am