downlights are too dim!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
inglewoody
Labourer
Labourer

downlights are too dim!

by inglewoody » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:44 pm

I've just wired in four downlights (50W halogen, built-in transformer in bulb). Very simple - took wire from lighting circuit. Switch put in with just 2 wires coming from junction box - works fine.
All four lights work but are much dimmer than identical lights in adjoining room. When I remove one bulb, the other three get brighter. Remove another and the remaining two are brighter still! The four lights are wired in a line - wires go from 1 to 2 to 3 to four. Should I loop the 4th one back to the juntion box?

Any clues?

I've made 2 rooms from one so my young twin sons can have a room each and one rooms just too gloomy!

many thanks

Dave

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:07 am

Your report worries me to get such a volt drop, either the wiring is undersize, or you have a really bad connection somewhere.
I assume your using GU10 bulbs?
So what cable have you used?
Eric

inglewoody
Labourer
Labourer

by inglewoody » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:01 pm

yup - GU10 bulbs... standard wiring circuit cable from Wickes...

Could it be because I've run the new circuit off another bedroom circuit which already has 6 GU10 bulbs? Whwen I turn that bedroom light on the new ones don't shine at all! I suspect I'm drawing too much power... I read somewhere that you should only have a max of 8 bulbs off one circuit... I'll try finding the real mains circuit before any l;ights come off it, rather than the convenient junction box I found!

Ta!

DAVE

inglewoody
Labourer
Labourer

by inglewoody » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:30 pm

ta-daaaa!

I'd taken the mains feed off another bedroom and was running 10 bulbs off one circuit. I found the real mains lead eventually and it now works a treat - many thanks!

sparkydude
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sparkydude » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:33 pm

Your post worries me, what do you mean when yopu say you have found the REAL mains feed???? IF it was wired from a dimmer circuit in the adjacent bedroom fine, If you had overloaded the circuit it would have made all lights dim not just some, how have you wired it (connections) as it sounds like you have connected the lights in series as opposed to in parallel as your supposed to. What circuit have you fed them from now and how have you wired it. WIth this information i can help to solve the problem safely as opposed to the way you may have done it which could be potentially dangerous.

NIck

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

by TOPSPARK » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:25 pm

I would suggest you get in an electrician as you seem to lack the knowledge for what you are doing and safety is of paramount importance
Also you could overload the circuit and cause a fire.I have attended 3 fires in houses from electrical faults and the outcome of these fires were'nt pretty so get in a qualified electrician to sort out the problem
regards
Topspark

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:50 pm

I was about to suggest he had selected the switch wire and used it as a neutral on the new lamps when inglewoody seemed to have worked it out for himself so I did not reply.
Don't know what is worrying you Nick seems to all make sense!
Unless you have seen something I have missed.
Eric

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:14 am