Downstairs Toilet Bubbling When Upstairs Shower is used
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

darthmuppet
Labourer
Labourer

Downstairs Toilet Bubbling When Upstairs Shower is used

by darthmuppet » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:28 pm

I have a downstairs toilet that bubbles when the upstairs shower is in use. my house has 3 stacks - one for the main bathroom, one for the downstairs toilet and kitchen, and one for the en-suite bathroom (where the shower is). I have 3 separate rodding points and three ports open in the main drain outside. I am certain that they are as I describe as I saw the house regularly whilst it was being built, and I was actually there whilst the builder was leak testing. The downstairs durgo valve might be faulty, as it occasionally makes slurping sounds after a flush. That should not be relevant as it lets air in, not out. Downstairs loo is liquids only.

I think the bubbling is due to positive pressure in that drain. The house is a new build and all of the covers outside appear to be airtight / sealed. I am not a plumber or a civil engineer, but the symptom seems to suggest that there is a blockage in the street drain that is causing the pressure to build up in the sewer system somewhere, and back in to that drain. Two other people on my 80-house development have also reported the same symptom.

Aside from my suggestion, is there anything else that might cause this? is there anything I should check before reporting this back to the builder? I already plan to remove all the covers tomorrow and see if anything looks odd, but i'm not sure i'm going to find anything.

TIA.

DM

It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:44 am