DPC and external drain issues causing damp on kitchen wall
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
adamlister
Labourer
Labourer

DPC and external drain issues causing damp on kitchen wall

by adamlister » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:43 pm

Hi, we've recently moved into a 1960's house. Since the weather has become colder we have noticed a small amount of mould on an internal kitchen wall, adjacent to this wall on the outside is a downpipe from the gutter and bath/shower waste.

The external wall was previously painted after a conservatory was taken down, we don't particularly like this look and plan to have the wall rendered in the near future. Before we have any rendering done I want to ensure that there no damp proofing issues. The drain opening is much lower than the patio that has been laid and the downpipe is raised above the drain which I believe is allowing the wall to become excessively wet in one main area when we have a shower or there is heavy rain. I'm struggling to work out where the DPC is on our brickwork and I'm not sure if the patio has been laid too high causing more issues, along the bottom of the wall there is green algae and a dusty/crumbly deposit between the bricks. I've added a few picture showing the lower wall, drain and patio arrangement. Any advice would be much apricated before I have someone look at it.

Kind Regards,
Adam
Attachments
IMG_1796 (1).jpg
IMG_1794 (5).jpg
IMG_1793 (2).jpg
IMG_1798 (2).jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: DPC and external drain issues causing damp on kitchen wall

by stoneyboy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:56 pm

Hi adamlister
It looks like your DPC is in the mortar line directly below the air brick but you should do some raking along this mortar line to establish whether it is continuous.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:05 pm