DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Drain and refill old style CH system with pressure vessel

Postby neil f » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:07 pm

I have an old style, conventional CH boiler (i.e. not combi/condenser), but the system has a pressure vessel in the loft and a mains refilling/pressurising stop-cock. There's a pressure gauge on the first floor next to the immersion tank and CH pump. The wall-mounted boiler is on the ground floor.

The system no longer maintains pressure and I can see from tell-tale stains that the globe-type pressure vessel is leaking around its circumferential seal. As it's at the top of the system, can I just replace this vessel with a similar unit and then repressurise with the mains inlet? Or will I have to drain the system right down and refill?

-neil f
neil f
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:45 pm


Simply Build It

Postby johnb » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:37 pm

hi neal drain system enough to allow removal of pressure vessel then fit equivalent size or larger [marked in litres] on the side fairly simple then vent any obvious vents you can see
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:09 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics