Drain Holes on PVC Windows
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mov1976
Labourer
Labourer

Drain Holes on PVC Windows

by mov1976 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:03 pm

Hello,

I had a company of builders fit some winows about 15 months ago, and I've recently discovered a small damp patch inside the house on the wall right next to one of the windows. I've had a good look, and after comparing with the other windows they fitted have realised that the window hasn't been fitted properly, and they've not left a gap for the drain holes, and siliconed across it, leaving the water stuck inside the frame (or rather finding a way into my house I suspect). :x :x

How can I drill new drain holes to release the water inside the frame, and allow it to drain properly in the future? :idea: :lol:

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:04 pm

Is the installation not under guarantee?

Can't you try to get installer back to sort the problem out for you?

If this is not possible, you could try to establish where the covered drain holes are by comparing with other windows.

Remove a small section of the silicone sealent in these areas to see if water might drain out.

Or

Drill only a small hole in these areas as close to the original holes as possible to see if water comes out!

If it does and you want to increase the flow, you can then open up the holes with slightly larger drill bit.

Brian52
Labourer
Labourer

Drain Holes on uPvc windows

by Brian52 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:28 pm

[quote="ALDA"]Is the installation not under guarantee?

Can't you try to get installer back to sort the problem out for you?

If this is not possible, you could try to establish where the covered drain holes are by comparing with other windows.

Remove a small section of the silicone sealent in these areas to see if water might drain out.

Or

Drill only a small hole in these areas as close to the original holes as possible to see if water comes out!

If it does and you want to increase the flow, you can then open up the holes with slightly larger drill bit.[/quote][b][/b][quote][code][list][list=][img][/img][/list][/list][/code][/quote]

I have the same problem with water overflowing onto my sill. I see from comparing other windows that they have covers on the drain holes - any ideas where to get these and how they are fixed to the frame. Thanks

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

DRAIN HOLE COVERS

by ALDA » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:09 am

Hi BRIAN,

WELCOME TO THE THREAD.

DEPENDS ON MANUFACTURER OF WINDOWS.

DO YOU OR THE INSTALLER KNOW WHO MADE THE WINDOWS?

THEY WILL SUPPLY CORRECT SPARES AND WILL TELL YOU HOW TO FIT THEM.

(IN MY EXPERIENCE THEY ARE PUSH FIT AND THATS WHY THEY ARE EASILY DISPLACED).

OR

THE INSTALLER MOST PROBABLY CARRIES SPARES.

YOU COULD ALSO LOOK AROUND YOUR PROPERTY, THEY MIGHT WELL BE ON GROUND UNDER THE WINDOW, IF THEY HAVE RECENTLY BEEN DISPLACED.

CHEERS, ALDA.

Brian52
Labourer
Labourer

by Brian52 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:02 pm

Thanks Alda. I'll pursue that idea.

I have just discovered that I am also getting water inside the actual window frame. I took out one of the screws in the bottom of the opened window that keeps the locking mechamisl secured and got a half pint of water out of it. I cant see how its getting in.

Any thoughts on this!

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:10 pm

BRIAN,

ANY RAIN WATER THAT GETS PASSED THE OPENING WINDOW SEAL SHOULD BE CHANNELED OUT OF DRAIN HOLES IN BOTTOM OF FRAME.

IF THERE ARE NO DRAIN HOLES IN FRAME, THEN THE FRAME IS SEALED AND WATER SHOULD NOT IN THERORY GET INSIDE.

IF THERE ARE HOLES IN FRAME THAT SHOULD HAVE SCREWS OR OTHER ITEMS FITTED IN THEM BUT ARE NOT FITTED AND THEREFORE OPEN, IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THIS IS WHERE WATER CAN GET IN.

I HAVE SEEN FRAMES THAT HAVE BEEN DRILLED INTO "INTERNALLY" SO THAT CURTAIN RAIL BRACKETS COULD BE FITTED AND SUBSEQUENTLY REMOVED BUT HOLES LEFT OPEN AND CONDENSATION HAS GATHERED IN OTHERWISE SEALED FRAME AND BUILT UP UNTIL IT IS DICOVERED LIKE YOU HAVE DONE BY REMOVAL OF A SCREW OR OTHER PART.

CHECK THE EXTERIOR SEALING OF FRAME TO WINDOW REVEAL TO ENSURE THIS ROUTE IN HASN'T BEEN BREECHED.( USUALLY SILICONE SEALED BUT HAVE SEEN THESE GAPS JUST FILLED WITH CORKING WHICH HAS DEGRADED OVER TIME).

YOU NEED TO BE A BIT OF A DETECTIVE HERE AND LOOK AT ALL THE POSSIBILITIES.

ALDA.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:05 am