drainage for new gravel drive
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
giblets
Labourer
Labourer

drainage for new gravel drive

by giblets » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:24 am

Hi, I am wanting to install a gravel drive at the front of my terraced house it is 8mx8m square. At the moment it is grass with a path down the middle.
I want to leave the path and lay gravel either side of it.
I have dug down 6" and the ground is firm using the 50mm square peg method shown on this site.
The ground is sandy and seems to drain easily.
If I put down 100mm of compacted MOT type 1 and 2" of gravel will water drain through compacted MOT OK as I don't want to put in a soakaway if I can help it.
I have existing top/surface water drainage from guttering which if I could get away with it I would use, and install block paving with a channel drain instead, but with new SUDS regs i'm not allowed to do that am I ???
Hope someone can help, many thanks.

brithebuilder
Apprentice
Apprentice

by brithebuilder » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:51 pm

Hi, you can't use MOT type 1 as when compacted it's virtually impermeable due to the fines. The problem you could have with using a large stone or gravel is that your car may creat ruts and sink quite deep. You can still use block paving as long as it's the permeable type and laid on the correct base. Which ever method you use you will need to install edgings of some sort.
regards, Brian.

giblets
Labourer
Labourer

by giblets » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:19 pm

Thanks Bri for the useful info

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:12 pm