Draining a condensing boiler system
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nina2230
Labourer
Labourer

Draining a condensing boiler system

by nina2230 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:53 am

I am about to install a new towel rail in the top bathroom. I am going to take out the old radiator. I was wondering if I could do this without having to drain the whole system as it includes about 30 radiators and as this is the very top radiator I was thinking I could drain the system by:
Takig the old radiator off. Attaching a hose pipe to radiator valve with a special connection I have. Then opening the radiator valve and draining it until no more water comes out. Obviously I will make sure the condensing boiler is off and the stop tap is off.
Will this drain te system down.
Also when the towel rail is installed will the system fill up to the correct pressure as the condensing boiler doesn't have a filling loop.
many thanks
Nina

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:07 pm

If I had a house that had 30 radiators I don't think i'd be doing DIY i'd get a plumber in to do it for me. Sorry that's me assuming you must have money.

The boiler doesn't have a filling loop - so how do you fill it ?

You don't need to drain the system if you don't need to alter pipework - but most of the time the pipework does need altering. You wouldn't have to drain the whole system just the top story would be enough - via a suitable drain point on a radiator or pipework.

Abit more info on the age of boiler and the make and model would help.

Hope this helps

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1