DIY Doctor

Main navigation

draining ch

Postby lanciabrad » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:41 pm

i want to move some rads around and guess i need to drain the central heating system, its off a combi but cant find a drain valve on any radiator???

any advise

many thanks
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:32 pm


Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:09 pm

It depends on where the radiators you want to change are, and how it's piped.

For example if you want to move a radiator that is upstairs, follow instructions below.

Easiest way, pick a small radiator thats downstairs and turn off both valves, undo the nuts connecting the valves to the radiator and place finger over the ends of radiator and lift radiator off the brackets.

You will then be able to insert a piece of 15mm pipe into the end of a hose pipe with a 15mm nut and ring (if 15mm valves, if 3/4" you will need a different connector) on the end connect this to the radiator valve and tighten - open valve and it will drain, after 5 mins or so open all upstairs radiator vents. (this will only drain upstairs radiators, downstairs radiators will then need to be drained individually)
htg engineer
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 3256
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics