DIY Doctor

Draining Combi C/H in a third floor flat

Postby JohneeeBoy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:31 am

Hi Guys

I live in a third floor flat which has combi system installed.I am planning on putting a towel rail in the bathroom to replace the current radiator.The towel rail is wider than the radiator and is fed by coppper pipe.What I want to do is to widen the pipe centres and have the pipes replaced with chrome.I will have to drain the system but the valve for doing this is outside the kitchen window, which cant be reached from inside and I aint good on ladders 3 storeys up.How do I drain the system in order to break into the copper under the floor, without flooding my downstairs neighbour?.

Thanks for any help.

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:19 am


Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:59 pm

That pipe outside is ot a drain point, it is a Pressure Relief Valve.

Not meant to be used to drain the boiler, as draining from there if the valve doesn't seat again properly it may cause the PRV to pass, then you'll have to replace.

Is there no drain point under the boiler ?
On any of the radiator valves or pipework ?

If not, close radiator valves and remove a radiator - attach a hose to the radiator valve that'll drain the system.
htg engineer
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 3256
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics